Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Good vs. Lucky

Ultimately, I'd like to be good and lucky.  But I'll settle for either.

A few months ago, I learned about a grant for artists in my area.  I talked to a few other folks about it and decided my chances were just not that good.  It probably wouldn't be worth the effort of putting together the application packet, which needed to be done, not in triplicate, but septuplicate!  But there were a few things about getting the grant which just seemed so appealing:  yes, the extra $ to help the project along, but also the validation from the artists' community and perhaps increased attention for the play... and bigger audiences...

So one day, I finally woke up on the right side of the bed and realized I was going to let them say "no" to me--I wasn't going to say it to myself.

And Friday, I got a response letter from the Toe River Arts Council* and they didn't say no either!  Between the Tackles and I are recipients of the Regional Artists Project Grant.

I liken submitting work and applying for grants to buying lottery tickets... and I recognize that there were many deserving artists who also applied.  This time, I got to be the lucky one.  (This is where a football star would take a knee and point to the heavens -- probably because his agent told him this would help public opinion of him and might land him some more endorsements.)

On a less-jaded note, I'm really excited to be a RAPG recipient and want to thank all of those who already believe in this project.  In fact, the grant application process has made me more aware of organizations and people who exist to support artists.  When I work on this play, it is a very solitary experience (except for all the times I call and email Steph and disrupt her day with questions like "Can I just call him The Traitor or do I need to actually come up with a name?  If so, what's a good name?"  These types of questions probably happen way too often for her to get her real-life work done.)  But back to my main point:  There are a whole group of people who devote their time and energy to helping us create our work and promote it.  What a gift.  I feel very lucky to have garnered their support.  I promise to work my tail off to make them proud.

A special "Thank You" to the women who wrote me letters of recommendation and encouraged me:  Katey Schultz and Mary Charbonnet.

* in collaboration with the Avery Arts Council, Madison Arts Council, the Asheville Area Arts Council and with support from the North Carolina Arts Council

No comments:

Post a Comment