Thursday, November 17, 2011

End of the 1st Quarter

as far as writing goes...

We are somewhere between 22 and 28 pages (depending on how Steph is doing with her scenes).  So, with an ending goal of around 90 pages, that puts us about 1/4 of the way done (with the first draft).  But this second quarter is going to have some big scoring opportunities.  And hopefully we'll see some big numbers put up this weekend since...

I'm taking a writing vacation.  No, this is not a writer's conference.  (Though there is one going on in Asheville this weekend.)  My "vacation" looks more like this:  Me, a hotel room (aka no familial/household distractions) and my laptop.  And my notecards, and outlines, and these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp.  That's all I need.  (Thank you, Steve Martin.)

The goal?  To more than double my page count. I'm just going to put this out there:  I'd like to be to page 60 by Sunday.  How will I do this?  The obvious answer:  butt in chair.  Yes.  But how do I keep myself there?   I set myself small, gentle goals... with harsh penalties.  No breakfast until 2 pages are written.  No lunch until another 10 are written... and so on and so-forth.  After the next 5 pages, 20 minutes of exercise.  No excuses.  No pedicure until 20 pages are written.  You get the picture:  threats and rewards.

Wish me luck, I'll be living in the play for the next 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment