Monday, October 31, 2011

The Kiss of Death (Times Two)

I planned on writing a blog post prior to Sunday's NFL lineup, all about how various football "experts" (i.e. talking heads) had predicted a Steelers win over the Patriots, and how this was seriously the kiss of death to any chance the Steelers had of actually winning that game. Because everyone with a lick of sense knows that once "they" pick you, you are finished. Your team will probably lose in some nasty, traumatic fashion designed to scar your sleepless nights for weeks on end. Or something like that.

But, I decided against writing said blog post. Because I truly believed that if I did that, it would be a double kiss of death. If we had any sliver of hope to take down Tom Terrific and his Hoodie-clad Spygate mastermind, it would certainly be dashed with my audacious decision to write about it in public. I know it's Halloween weekend, but even I can't handle that level of macabre horror.

So, I just kept my big mouth shut about the whole deal. Until I went to Britt Kaufmann's to watch said Steelers/Pats game with a slew of other fans and mentioned this failed plan to her. She, of course, strongly encouraged me to go forth with said post on Monday - which I agreed to do, if (and only if) the Steelers managed to hang on for the win.

And so, since all of you are reading this grand post, you know it is true - the Steelers dismantled the Patriots in a performance of historic, glorious beauty that will live forever in the hearts of Steeler Nation forever. The kiss of death did not materialize.

This time around. All bets are off, though, starting this very minute. Because come tomorrow, after the experts dissect the MNF game, there will be nothing left to do but start in on next week's match-ups and begin another round of predictions sure to go wrong. No doubt, after that stellar game yesterday, the Steelers will be favored by some to beat their arch rivals, the Baltimore Ravens.

And, as you now know, that could be the kiss of death.

1 comment:

  1. Especially with Farrior out -- and the likelihood of Harrison and Woodley out too. Although, I'm hoping they're just playing mind-games with the Ravens... acting like they're injured only to come out Sunday, ready to play.

    ReplyDelete